Donor Naming Privilege Policy Operating Procedures
Royal Roads University Procedure
This document outlines the operating procedures associated with Royal Roads University Policy Number B1240 involving naming privileges at the university.
Naming opportunities are available for the following categories:
- Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships – restricted and endowed
- Chairs, Professorship, Lectureships and Fellowships – term and endowed
- University facilities
- Buildings, classrooms, laboratories and physical spaces.
- Other physical assets (including but not limited to signs, walls, trails and other)
Gift levels associated with these naming opportunities are as follows:
Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships for Restricted Funds
- Restricted Funds must be able to disburse a minimum of $1,000 annually. To initiate a Restricted Fund, donors must invest a minimum of $5,000. This can take the form of an initial investment of $1,000 in cash, with a signed commitment (Terms of Reference) to donate $1,000 a year for the following four consecutive years, for a minimum five-year commitment of $5,000.
- Donors may name Restricted Funds in accordance with RRU’s naming policy. All Terms of Reference contain a clause with instructions on how to handle the funds if payments should cease or if the fund is deemed no longer relevant for the student awards program.
Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships for Endowed Funds
- Endowed Funds require a minimum donation of $25,000, with a signed commitment (Terms of Reference) for continued funding and growth. Funds are disbursed annually through interest earned from the endowment principal each year.
- Donors may name Endowed Funds in accordance with RRU’s naming policy. An endowment is created in perpetuity, with a clause to allow the transfer of funds if the endowment does not reach its growth goal, or fails to act as a functioning fund.
Chairs, Professorship, Lectureship and Fellowships
- Externally-sponsored Chairs, Professorships, Lectureships or Fellowships involve term or endowed funding, in whole or in part, by private and/or corporate donors. Funds support researchers who focus on specific topics of interest, as agreed to by a donor, Royal Roads University, and the Royal Roads University Foundation.
- Such positions are subject to the Royal Roads University Policy for Establishment of Chairs, Professorships and Lectureships/Fellowships, as approved by Academic Council.
- Naming opportunities are available, as aligned to the gift levels and the ranges identified in the chart below, and subject to review as determined by this policy.
- Centres are available for naming. Gift levels are subject to discussion and negotiation with the donor and Executive and Academic leadership, with numerous factors determining the required investment.
- Factors influencing the minimum gift level include purpose, area of focus, academic discipline, research capability, years in operation, the existence of physical space, duration of agreement, etc. A minimum threshold for naming a Centre is $5 million.
- Schools are available for naming. Gift levels are subject to discussion and negotiation with the donor and Executive and Academic leadership, with numerous factors determining the required investment.
- Factors influencing the minimum gift level include purpose, area of focus, size (both student and faculty numbers), academic discipline, research capability, years in operation, the existence of physical space, duration of agreement, etc.
- Generally, a gift level required for naming a School will at least be equal with that of a Centre; comparative factors of a greater scale will cause the gift level to be higher.
Buildings and Physical Space
- Gift levels associated with buildings are subject to market value of the asset and property, and may – at the discretion of the University – be represented as an overall percentage of cost. For example, the naming of a building would generally require 30 percent of the overall cost of the structure.
- The gift value assigned to physical spaces within a building or on campus is subject to discussion between donors and the university. Royal Roads University has a variety of academic areas, laboratories, seminars rooms, outdoor spaces and other facilities available in planned or existing buildings for naming by donors who contribute a minimum of $50,000 or more to the university.
- Gift agreements for physical assets may require a portion of funding for ongoing renovations and upkeep, dependent on the initiative.
The chart below lists minimum gift levels, and where relevant, the term the funding encompasses. As noted, numerous factors will determine the actual gift level of Centres, Schools, and Buildings.
|Awards,Bursaries & Scholarships|
|$5,000||Restricted award,scholarship or bursary|
|$25,000 (with commitment for growth)||Endowed award, scholarship or bursary|
|$300,000||Chair (three-year term)|
|$2 million||Chair – Endowed|
|$200,000||Professorship (five-year term)|
|$750,000||Professorship – Endowed|
|$100,000||Lectureship/Fellowship – (annualterm)|
|$5 million||May or may not involve physical space|
|$5 million||To be assessed comparatively with Centres|
|Building and or Physical Space|
|$1 million||Lecture theatre (i.e. Centre for Dialogue)|
|$1 million||Study area,foyer or lobby|
|$50,000||Classroom,wing,lab or studio|
|$50,000||Trail,road or field|
Changes of Removal of a Name
Name changes will be considered for the following reasons: criminal association; a change of purpose; and, in the case of joint naming, a change of marital status or partner change.
Confidentiality of naming proposals
Proposals submitted for naming privileges with the university will be treated as confidential until decided and/or an official announcement is released.
Any announcement will be subject to discussion with the donors and his/her wishes, and in accordance with the RRU FOIPOP and Confidentiality policy.
Branding of facility and physical naming opportunities
Sign proposals for naming agreements must be in line with Royal Roads University’s brand standards.
The naming of facilities and/or physical spaces will normally stand for their useful life. All other naming initiatives are subject to the Terms of Reference within the gift agreement.