RRU Student Awards Policy
Royal Roads University Policy
The aim of this policy is to define the scope and authority in the awarding of awards, and continuing eligibility requirements of recipients.
This policy applies to all student awards funded by Royal Roads University (RRU) and the Royal Roads University Foundation (RRUF). It excludes student research awards that are overseen by the Office of the Associate Vice President Research and Faculty Affairs, and other externally funded awards.
Financial Aid and Awards administers Royal Roads University’s award programs:
- under the direction of the Academic Council (see Academic Council Awards Committee Terms of Reference, May 5, 2016),
- in cooperation with RRU’s Financial Services,
- following the ethical guidelines of Canadian Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (CASFAA),
- on the assumption that the RRUF practices ethical and authentic fundraising in keeping with the university’s mission and values and in accordance with charitable giving standards as set out by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and the Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP).
Creation of Awards:
- Awards created through the RRUF are defined by the Foundation in consultation with donors or sponsors, the Manager of Financial Aid & Awards, the Director of Financial Services, and, whenever possible, the Awards Committee.
- The VP Academic and Provost (or designate) oversees the creation of all new RRU-funded or non-monetary awards through Financial Aid & Awards. The Awards Committee and Financial Services will be consulted.
The appropriate committee, through fair competition and within the guidelines of each award, decides if an award recipient is found worthy of recognition or financial assistance.Adjudicating Awards for Application
A recommended roll of recipients from these panels will be submitted to the Awards Committee for approval:
- The Awards Adjudication Panel will select nominees for Entrance and In-Course Award competitions. Applications will be completed online through MyAwards and include a one-page essay.
- The Internships Awards Adjudication Panel will select nominees for all internship-related awards. The terms of reference for each award will dictate what constitutes a complete application.
- Nominations for all other non-standard application-based awards will be determined according to the procedure and authority outlined in each fund’s terms of reference.
Nominations for Convocation Awards will be the responsibility of the Faculty Deans, or the Registrar, or on a peer-nominated competitive basis depending on the award terms.Adjudicating Emergency Funds
Will be awarded according to the procedure and authority outlined in each fund’s terms of reference.
Deadlines have been established to ensure sufficient time for administration and selection of the most deserving candidates for awards. In consideration of fairness to staff, the adjudication panel, and other applicants, late submissions will not be accepted.
The competition for convocation awards will close no later than one week before the last Academic Council meeting or four weeks before the event, whichever comes first.
Students who are found guilty of academic misconduct at any time during their study at RRU may not qualify for awards.
In general, recipients must complete the appropriate award period as listed below to maintain eligibility for funding. Once the award period is completed, the obligation to be actively enrolled has ended.
Should the regular course of study be interrupted within this award period (e.g. deferral, withdrawal, leave of absence, etc.), and the recipient is qualified for a tuition refund, an amount up to the full value of the award may first be recovered. This is to acknowledge award funding is meant to support education and prevent a student from financially benefiting through withdrawal.
The Awards Committee will deliberate compassionate or otherwise exceptional cases.
- February awards: March 1 to May 31
- May awards: June 1 to August 31
- August awards: September 1 to November 30
- November awards: December 1 to February 28/29
- Entrance awards: Three months following the start date of the recipient’s program
Should no qualified candidate apply for an award in the competition for which it was originally assigned, it may be offered again in the competition that follows, provided the award’s terms of reference does not specifically prevent RRU from doing so.
Funding that has been recovered from recipients who become ineligible will be returned to the original cost centre or Fund #. It may be redistributed in one of the following ways:
- awarded to a qualified runner-up from the same competition, if one was identified,
- offered for competition later that year, or
- held over to the next year’s competition if the award is not tied to a fiscal budget.
Royal Roads University is committed to recognizing and celebrating award recipients in a variety of ways.
Previously approved versions:
- 8 February 2017
- 12 October 2016 – formerly called Awards Policy
- 5 May 2016
- 7 March 2011