Personal Information of Applicants and Students
Royal Roads University Policy
Royal Roads University collects, uses and discloses personal information for the purposes of admission, registration and other activities related to management of a British Columbia public post secondary institution pursuant to the University Act (RSBC 1996), the Royal Roads University Act (RSBC 1996) and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RSBC 1996).
The legal requirements of Canada Revenue Agency, the provincial Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development, and other governmental agencies also apply. For instance, the Federal Statistics Act provides legal authority for Statistics Canada to obtain access to personal information held by educational institutions. The information may be used only for statistical purposes, and the confidentiality provisions of the Statistics Act prevent the information from being released in any way that would identify a student.
Personal information requested on application registration forms and collected by additional means is made available on a need-to-know basis to authorized employees and contractors of the University to allow them to complete their necessary duties.
These duties include but are not limited to:
- the efficient and effective management of the University
- the provision of responses to prospective students who have approached the university for information
- the management of student applications
- the management of registered students during their enrolment period, including academic, financial, library and information systems management (Note: In team-based settings, students may be required to provide evaluations of the team performance of cohort members)
- the management of graduation and subsequent transcript processing
- the management of alumni relations
- the management of fund-raising activities with our students and graduates (see note below)
- the marketing of University programs
- the management of housing, parking and other non-academic student services
- the disclosure of data when authorized by law
Note: You will be asked to provide your explicit consent for the use of your personal information for fundraising purposes.
When an agent or other personal representative assists with an application for admission, when management of an academic program is jointly sponsored by an institution in another country, or when a faculty member or instructor is based in another country, relevant contact and other information of students may be stored and accessed outside Canada under conditions of confidentiality. By signing an application for admission, or asking an agent or other personal representative to sign it on his/her behalf, a student is agreeing to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as outlined above.
Royal Roads University protects personal information from unauthorized access to the fullest extent possible.
For more information please contact:
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, B.C. V9B 5Y2
Phone: 250.391.2600 ext. 4178