Academic Programs Policy
Royal Roads University Policy
Formerly the Academic Council Quality Assurance Policy
Pursuant to the Academic Quality Assurance Policy, this policy establishes the principles and practices to ensure that appropriate standards are achieved and maintained in the university’s academic programs and research and that it is offering a high quality education consistent with national standards.
New and Existing Programs
- All new degree, diploma and certificate programs must be approved through procedures as determined by Academic Council before recommendation to the Board of Governors. All new degrees are subject to final approval by the Minister of Advanced Education.
- New program proposals must go through a consultative process which includes faculty and other relevant bodies.
- All substantive changes to existing degree, diploma, and certificate programs must be approved through procedures as determined by Academic Council before recommendation to the Board of Governors.
- All new and revised credit courses must be approved through procedures as determined by Curriculum Committee.
- All program admission and progression requirements must be approved through procedures as determined by Admissions Committee.
Quality Assurance Monitoring
- Regular and systematic evaluation of teaching and research will be conducted to measure quality and support curricular improvements.
- On an annual basis, each program must submit a written report to the relevant dean’s office providing an overview of key performance indicators associated with program performance to aid continuous quality improvement processes. Reports will be made available to the VP Academic and Provost.
- All degree programs will be subject to external review on a five-to-seven year cycle for the purpose of program improvement. Responsibility for oversight of external reviews resides with the VP Academic and Provost.
- A certificate or diploma program that is embedded or affiliated with a degree program will be included in the external review of the relevant degree. Other certificate and diploma programs may be subject to external review at the discretion of the VP Academic and Provost.
Academic Council will receive annual reports from the VP Academic and Provost on academic and research quality measures, program reviews and improvements.
Approved: July 21, 2004 (Academic Council Quality Assurance Policy)
Amended: December 20, 2006 (Academic Council Quality Assurance Policy)
Amended: November 21, 2007 (Academic Council Quality Assurance Policy)
Current: October 12, 2016 (Academic Programs Policy)
Review: October 2019